Journeyman Film Company is looking for a logistics coordination ace with a passion for the creative production process.
We produce innovative work with dozens of clients peppered all across Canada. We typically have about 30 projects on the go at any given time in at least three time zones. With a core staff, freelance creative collaborators, and high-energy clients all working together to produce great content, we need communications to be excellent and organization to be locked down.
Our company has learned that to guarantee great work even amidst the hectic schedules, everyone needs to be a leader when it comes to setting solid plans and sticking to them. From the kick-off with the client to the final hours in the sound mix suite, each member of the team is hard-wired to timelines and procedural steps to ensure a top quality product goes out, on time, on budget. But that process and all those team members need a shepherd, and that shepherd is the Production Coordinator.
Our team is ready to embrace a period of unprecedented growth by adding a self-starting organizational whiz who’s comfortable “herding cats” and experienced with leading by example. You understand that a solid administrative foundation allows a creative company to do its best work. You’re a great communicator who can lead projects and work directly with clients to achieve awesome results. A natural organizer, you can stay focused on relevant details even when bombarded with information, and you’re comfortable asking questions, following-up with people, and persisting to get the job done.
Along with the logistical coordination and project management, you will take on more creative tasks, such as research, contacting on-camera subjects, recording pre-interviews, helping source shooting elements, scouting locations, and making suggestions on content. As a member of the team, your ideas are encouraged in order to help us all to continually improve and innovate with each project.
If you like to play a big role on a small team, keep reading. If you are wired to solve problems and prevent fires — rather putting them out — then we have the beginnings of a conversation together.
You must demonstrate these competencies:
– Ability to glean and retain details from extensive information and varied sources of input
– Great client service/account management qualities – ability to create long-lasting relationships built on trust, clear communication, and personability
– Excellent project management skills – ability to keep schedules, budgets, and people in sync and on track
– Experience with production planning – including: ability to foresee and troubleshoot details, mitigating risks to crew & participants, making crewing decisions, handling contractor invoicing, creating call sheets, applying for permits, and the ability to create healthy and realistic shooting schedules.
– Polished written and in-person communication
– Adaptability and problem-solving skills; proven ability to handle complex professional situations with tact and effectiveness
– A nose for a good deal and the ability to negotiate with diplomacy
– Experience with producing creative video work from pre-production to post-production, displaying expertise and vision
– Administrative documentation – spreadsheets, scheduling, accounting
It’s a bonus if you have these:
– A knack for networking and finding unique connections with diverse groups of people
– A solid footing with professional social media management, looking for opportunities to connect our work to the community, and keeping in touch with clients
– Experience directing and producing your own creative work, as well as other hands-on production skills
– Confident public-speaking, pitching and presentation skills
What we offer you:
Our team works together in a newly-renovated, custom-designed studio space a few blocks up from the harbour in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
Our core purpose is to build prosperity and understanding through the art of storytelling. Prosperity and understanding are results we seek for our clients, and, equally as important, for the members of our team. We grow personally as we tackle new projects, and we build our own prosperity as the company performs well.
We have achieved a measure of influence in many of the important stories that affect our economy and communities: energy, health, oceans, regional promotion, and industry. We have a deep library of completed client work. That puts us in a good position to build on the story so far and deepen our existing relationships. We’re proud of what we produce, but we haven’t done our best work yet. We rely on growth as a team to get us there.
We offer creative people a solid foundation on which to build skills and careers. We value flexibility and collaboration and aim to craft a company work life that is sane, humane and enjoyable.
Do some research on Journeyman, and send us your pitch. Show us something that gets our attention. Imagine yourself in the Journeyman story, and give us a sense of what makes you tick. And share with us your thoughts on these questions:
– Where do you want to go with your life?
– How is this role a fit for you?
– What’s the biggest thing standing in your way to getting where you want to go?
– How can we support you – what do you need from us to be successful?
– What are the three biggest strengths you bring to take Journeyman further in our story?
– What does it mean to you to be curious, healthy, authentic, responsible, and bold?
– What are the main things that motivate you, and how do you wish to be compensated when it comes to benefits and compensation in a workplace?
On this last point, it’s worth mentioning that we do have a comprehensive benefits program for members of the team. We also have a compensation philosophy that looks to reward great company performance through incentives.
Please send us a stand-out letter biography that describes how you connect to our company story, along with a resumé, to email@example.com. Make sure the subject line reads “Production Coordinator – [your name]”.
We sincerely thank anyone who takes an interest in our company, but only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.